I love croutons! They have a wonderful taste and they can go with most everything. The flavor, the crunch and simplicity of making. Make it all worth while when it comes to making your very own. Oh did I mention IT is so much CHEAPER.
Croutons come in many different flavors and you can created most of them at home with only a few ingredients that you most likely already have in your cupboards and or fridge.
My favorite lately has been ranch flavored croutons. Ahhh they just melt in my mouth. You can garlic flavored, basil flavored, cheese flavored and just about any other spice you have in your kitchen.
Ok enough with how they taste let’s get started.
You will need the following.
- Bread “this is great if you accidentally left the bread bag open and a few pieces started to dry out” You will need about 6 slices. Otherwise I have used hotdog buns and hamburger buns to make these.
- Half a stick of butter “4 tablespoons” up to 6 tablespoons.
- Large bowl
- Cutting Board
- Microwavable bowl
- Oven set at 350
- Cookie sheet
- Your seasonings
Now let’s get started making these awesome tasting croutons.
Grab your bread and cut into small squares. “About the size you normally see croutons”. Once you have cut them all up and you have approximately 4 cups – 6 cups place them in a large bowl.
Now grab your butter. “For every 1 cup of bread add 1 tablespoon of butter.” place it in the microwave and heat until the butter is melted.
Next you will want to add your flavoring.
- Garlic flavored – 2 tablespoons of garlic salt or 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- Ranch flavored – 1/2 a packet of a dried ranch packet or 2 to 3 tablespoons of ranch dressing. “You can add more if you want a richer ranch flavor”
- Butter flavored – Just leave your butter untouched and follow the rest of the directions below
- Cheese Flavored – 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese or 1/4 to 1/2 cup of any cheese flavor you want. “You will have to melt the cheese in the microwavable bowl with the butter.
- Caesar flavored – Same as Ranch directions
- Any other dressing flavors that you want your croutons to be, just follow the Ranch recipe above.
The possibilities are endless for flavors
Once you have added your flavorings, go ahead and whisk that up. Once it has been really mixed and there are no more clumps. Drizzle half of the butter mixture over the bread chunks that you have previously cut up. Mix it all together now drizzle the last half of the butter and seasoning mixture together until all the bread chunks have been coated well.
Now go ahead and place it on your cookie sheet. “Yes my cookie sheets are scarred from all the cooking I do. But I love them and they hold lots of memories of the deliciousness that happens in my kitchen” 🙂
Next place your cookie sheet in the oven at 350 and bake for about 10 minutes. At the 5 min mark go ahead and move your croutons around on the pan so they don’t get to dark on one side. The longer you bake them the crispier they will get. We like ours crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Once your croutons have started to turn brown they are done. Unless you like yours super crunchy bake them a little longer.
Now your croutons are done and it cost you less than a dollar to make enough that would normally be in a bag of croutons that you would buy at the store.
What is your favorite flavor for croutons?
Posted on July 22, 2013, in DIY - Do It Yourself, Money Saving Ideas, Recipes of all Kinds and tagged crouton recipes, Croutons, DIY croutons, easy croutons, homemade croutons, ranch flavored croutons, Yummy cruotons. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.