Benifits of Bacon?
I LOVE Bacon! I feel horrible for those of you that can’t have bacon or have chosen to not eat it! I just can’t resist that smell in the morning when bacon is frying up in the pan. Not to mention the crisp taste as I bite down. Yep I love bacon! and I so easily could eat a pound by myself. However I’m a mom and must share with my kiddos 😉
There are benefits to cooking and frying up bacon and eating your heart out. Here are a few of them.
- Bacon is healthier for you than some cuts of meat.
- Bacon has less total fat, cholesterol and saturated fat than some cuts of chicken and beef
- Bacon helps to fully satisfy your appetite with high protein and low carbs. Bacon will actually help you lose weight because it helps one’s metabolism and it will build healthier muscles that are leaner and stronger.
- Bacon has choline in it which is a very important nutrient. Choline is known for helping increasing memory and intelligence which is great from conception all the way to senior status. Even University studies have been able to show that it helps fight debilitating effects of Alzheimer’s disease and many other chronic mental conditions.
- What are the nutrients that are found in bacon you may ask?
- Vitamin b1 “Thiamin” – 65% of our Recommended daily intake
- Vitamin B3 “Niacin” – 47% of our recommended daily intake
- Vitamin B12 – 38% o of our RDI
- Zinc – 36% of our RDI
- Vitamin B6 – 24% of our RDI
- Vitamin B2 “Riboflavin” – 22% of our RDI
- Phosphorus – 22% of our RDI
- Pantothenate – 10% of our RDI
- Magnesium – 10% of our RDI
- Iron – 9% of our RDI
- The protein to fat is 4 to 1 which is one of the highest fat to protein ratios in any meat that is found on earth.
- Feeling sad? Bacon will help you feel happy, blissful and satisfied. It also helps reduce stress and it also helps relieve negative frustrations. So in other words feeling depressed a serving of bacon will pick you up.
Now when I cook bacon up I save all that wonderful bacon fat that is sitting in the bottom of the pan.
By saving your bacon fat you will save money on buying cooking sprays, butter and anything else you use to keep food from sticking on the bottom of your pans. To save your bacon fat, place it in a container that can handle heat. “Microwavable container or glass jar with a lid”.
Once you have placed that excess fat in a container put it in your fridge for the next time you need to pull it out and use it. I love using bacon fat whenever I make eggs. “Which is quite often”. When your ready to use it grab a spoon or knife and take about a tablespoon or two out and place in your pan.
Once it has melted add your eggs or other food that you like bacon flavoring in.
Yummy! Once my eggs are done cooking my pan. It looks like this once I have dished up my eggs onto plates.
Ahh a success and it didn’t cost me extra money and I get a little bit of bacon flavoring in my eggs. A double whammy:-)
Have you ever saved bacon fat before? If so what foods have you used it for?
Posted on July 24, 2013, in Money Saving Ideas, Pointers and Tips and tagged bacdon health benefits, bacon, bacon health benefits, bacon is healthy, breakfast, food, health, vitamin b2 riboflavin, vitamin b3 niacin. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.